Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gridiron Race - 4 miles in Central Park


OK, I suppose this is what I get for running only once in two weeks! My pace/time this morning was slower than the last race (though it was less mileage). My pace was 10:40 compared to 10:34, even though at 10:34 I had never run 5 miles or a race before and I regularly run 4 or almost 4 miles.
Henry ran, too. I came in 4,378 out of 5,256 and Henry came in 239th! Because we were early (overestimated how long it would take to find parking), we had a coffee and I bought into the hype of going fast... so I burned out during the first mile, went WAY too fast. I was wiped by the end of the 2nd mile and went much, much slower than my normal pace for miles 3 & 4.
Lesson learned: start out slow & steady, build pace. Oh, and run more often!
Next race is the Valentine's Day 5K in Prospect Park in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll do better...

No comments:

Post a Comment